Top 5 Reasons for Divorce in Malaysia
(Updated on October 2017)
Unsurprisingly, divorce is not uncommon nowadays. As a divorce lawyer in Malaysia, it is a normal to hear what are the reasons for the breakup or divorce of a married couple. Below are top 5 reasons for divorce in Malaysia compiled.
- Infidelity: Sadly, extra-marital affair (or adultery) took the main spot of problem to a married couple as a man (or even woman) often started with an emotional affair and which later turned into a physical affair. As a matter of fact, adultery is often cited as a ground for divorce in Malaysia.
- Money (Financial dispute): It is common that financial issue becomes a real problem to a married couple when the husband (who is supposed to be supporting the family financially) is not providing to the family sufficiently. More often than not, this will turn into an argument if money is involved.
- Domestic Abuse: This can be either physical or mental abuse in Malaysian. In fact, there is a strong correlation between domestic abuse and financial issues.
- Lack of communication: Often couples will complain that they are not communicating enough (or at all) even though they are staying under one roof. Sooner or later, this will cause a breakdown of a marriage.
- Lack of intimacy: This can be either emotional intimacy or physical intimacy (sex).
Whatever the reason is for a divorce, it is crucial to settle the divorce terms so that issues such as wife maintenance (or husband’s maintenance), children’s maintenance (and custody) and division of property are well settled to avoid any inconvenience in the future. Moreover, if both parties can agree on all the terms, they both can save the hassle, time and cost by way of a joint petition divorce.
However, if both parties cannot reach a settlement on any term, the only option to get a divorce is through a single petition divorce where parties will have to expect a long, tedious and costly court process and legal fees.
If you have any question about divorce in Malaysia, contact our lawyer now for consultation.
Note: This compilation is solely based on the experience of our divorce lawyer.<div class='sharedaddy sd-block sd-like jetpack-likes-widget-wrapper jetpack-likes-widget-unloaded' id='like-post-wrapper-135752212-593-5c1169e3e5447' data-src='https://widgets.wp.com/likes/#blog_id=135752212&post_id=593&origin=www.tyhlawfirm.my&obj_id=135752212-593-5c1169e3e5447' data-name='like-post-frame-135752212-593-5c1169e3e5447'><h3 class="sd-title">Like this:</h3><div class='likes-widget-placeholder post-likes-widget-placeholder' style='height: 55px;'><span class='button'><span>Like</span></span> <span class="loading">Loading...</span></div><span class='sd-text-color'></span><a class='sd-link-color'></a></div>