Registration Of Overseas Divorce Order In Malaysia
- Are you divorced overseas (out of Malaysia) and looking to register your foreign divorce or annulment order in Malaysia?
- For civil marriages contracted outside Malaysia and solemnised in Malaysia (such as the United Kingdom, Australia, Singapore, Japan etc.), you will need to register your divorce or annulment order obtained outside of Malaysia with the Registrar General of Marriage in Malaysia at the National Registration Department (Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN), Putrajaya, Malaysia).
- As a matter of fact, the Registrar General of Marriage in Malaysia cannot register the said divorce or annulment directly in Malaysia. One party or both parties must first get a declaration order from the High Court in Malaysia through an appointed lawyer.
- Under Section 107(3) & (4) of the Law Reform (Marriage & Divorce) Act 1976, the Registrar of Marriage in Malaysia shall register the foreign divorce or annulment obtained in foreign country after the High Court granted a declaration order. Then the Registrar shall register the divorce or annulment with the registry in JPN.
- Get free quotation from our divorce lawyer below now for registration of overseas divorce order in Malaysia.