Our Lawyers & Our Law Firm: Divorce Lawyer Malaysia
Divorce Lawyer Malaysia: Tam Yuen Hung & Co. (TYH & Co.) is a law firm in Cheras, Malaysia founded by Max Tam Yuen Hung based in the township of Bandar Mahkota Cheras, Selangor, Malaysia.
He is an advocate & solicitor of the High Court of Malaya practicing in Kuala Lumpur & Selangor in Malaysia.
He read law and holds an LLB (Hons) from Northumbria University of the UK. The following year, he obtained the Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP) from the Legal Profession Qualifying Board Malaysia (LPQB).
He was trained in an established law firm known as Messrs Shearn Delamore & Co. and further started his legal practice in Messrs Mark Law Chambers, a litigation & conveyancing law firm in Kuala Lumpur before setting up TYH & Co.
His main focused area of law is Divorce & Family Law in Malaysia and is an experienced divorce lawyer handling countless of joint divorce petitions (Mutual divorce) as well as single divorce petitions (Non-mutual divorce) in Malaysia. Besides, he is also an experienced lawyer in the laws of guardianship and custody of children in Malaysia.
- Obtained sole custody of child for the respondent mother in the High Court of Ipoh in a custody application filed by the father in 2017.
- Obtained the permission of the High Court of Kuala Lumpur in 2017 for the applicant husband to file for divorce petition (for marriage less than 2 years) based on the facts that the wife is unreasonably affecting the life of husband (emotionally).
- Obtained joint custody of children for the respondent mother in the High Court of Ipoh in a custody application filed by the father in 2018.
- Defended for the respondent mother in an application for overnight access on the child filed by the father in the High Court of Kuala Lumpur in 2018. The High Court allows limited access (visitation right) to the father with no overnight access allowed.
- Acted for the wife in settling for a substantial amount of maintenance for both wife and children in the High Court of Kuala Lumpur in 2018 to save time and cost of the wife without resorting to litigation.
- Represented the applicant husband in 2018 to file for divorce within 2 years from the date of registration of marriage. Application to divorce within 2 years is allowed by the High Court of Kuala Lumpur based on exceptional circumstances and hardship suffered by the husband.
- Defended for the respondent husband in a committal proceedings in the High Court of Kuala Lumpur filed by the wife in 2018. Consent judgment entered between both parties.
- Acted for the applicant husband in an application to vary the consent judgement (on maintenance of child) on the basis that the husband is facing financial difficulties in the High Court of Kuala Lumpur in 2019. The High Court allows the variation to be reduced to a reasonable amount to ensure that the welfare of child is protected.
- Acted for the applicant wife in an application to vary the consent judgment (on custody) in the High Court of Johor Bahru in 2019. The High Court directed that both parties must honor the consent judgment and the child must continue to stay with the wife’s mother as agreed earlier.
- Acted for the respondent husband in a divorce petition in the Ipoh High Court in 2019 and successfully gained liberal access including overnight access to the children for the respondent husband. Respondent husband also required to pay lower amount of maintenance to children after considering his income.
Will Writing & Estate Planning Law is also one of his focused area of law where he had garnered much valuable experience during his previous employment in one of the most reputable will writing & estate planning company in Malaysia. This includes application for probate and letter of administration in Malaysia.
He is also experienced in advising and drafting business & commercial agreements for small & medium-sized companies and start-ups in Malaysia and advising on matters relating to the Malaysian immigration law.
Throughout his practicing years, he is a firm believer that all disputes (in family) could be resolved amicably with proper mediation between disputing parties to protect the interest of parties and welfare of the children (if any).
Our lawyer, Max Tam Yuen Hung is also fluent in the following languages:
- Bahasa Malaysia;
- Cantonese; and
Sandra Lee: Senior Legal Associate
Sandra Lee Yee Ling graduated from the University of London under the external programme with a Bachelor of Laws degree and completed the Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP) the following year.
She commenced her pupillage in Messrs Sheah, Tan & Rahman and was admitted and enrolled as an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya upon completing her pupillage.
Subsequently, she joined Messrs Tam Yuen Hung & Co. wherein she continues to gain and expand her legal knowledge particularly in uncontested and contested divorce and family law matters, estate planning and conveyancing matters.
Sandra is conversant in:
- Bahasa Malaysia; and
Amelia Tan: Senior Legal Associate (Divorce & Family Litigation)
Amelia Tan graduated from the University of Malaya (UM) with honors in Bachelors of Laws (LLB) and she then underwent her pupillage in Messrs. Zul Rafique & Partners under the Dispute Resolution and Industrial Relations/Employment Practice Group.
Amelia’s main practice area is civil litigation particularly handling divorce & family law, corporate/commercial law, employment law and land disputes.
Amelia commenced legal practice with Messrs. Sheah Tan & Rahman and has also experience in corporate commercial and conveyancing. Amelia’s corporate and commercial background consist of undertaking due diligence and drafting of several commercial agreements for purposes of share acquisition, joint venture, debt repayment, licensing programmes, and including guarantees.
Before joining Messrs. Tam Yuen Hung & Co. (TYH & Co.), Amelia was previously attached to Messrs. Wong & Loh and had undertaken various High Court appeals and judicial review, lower court trial, hearings, and mediation.
Amelia presently handles mostly contentious and complex divorce & family litigation in TYH & Co. spearheading the firm’s litigation department resolving disputes.
1. Acted for the applicant husband in a custody application in the High Court of Kuala Lumpur in 2021 where the Court’s ruling is in favour of the applicant husband in terms of visitation/overnight access and maintenance payable.
2. Acted for the petitioner wife in a contentious dissolution of marriage (divorce) due to respondent husband’s adultery and successfully negotiated for a generous sum of settlement in the High Court of Kuala Lumpur in 2020.
3. Obtained Grant of Probate for the estate of a non-Commonwealth foreign national deceased with assets in Malaysia whereby the last will and testament had been deposited in the foreign Court in the High Court of Kuala Lumpur in 2020.
4. Represented developer in challenging the decision of the Home Buyers Tribunal on late payment damages despite extension of time granted by Housing Controller prior the Sri Istana Condominium Federal Court decision.
5. Successfully argued in the High Court of Johor Bahru before Johor Bahru Judicial Commissioner via Online Hearing for an interlocutory application appeal during the Movement Control Order (MCO) in 2020.
6. Acted and defended directors and companies in a frustrated multiple tranche share sale agreement dispute coupled with derivative action and breach of fiduciary duty of directors in Penang High Court in 2019.
Amelia is passionate about the law and is an ardent believer that the law seeks to protect, works to establish justice and trample over tyranny.
Amelia is conversant in:
- Bahasa Melayu; and
- Hokkien dialect.
Debbie Lai Wern Yi: Legal Associate
Debbie graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Hons.) from Multimedia University Melaka.
Prior to joining Tam Yuen Hung & Co. to pursue her legal career, Debbie has commenced her pupillage in Ewe Chong & Khoo where her practising areas consist of conveyancing, litigation, will writing, probate and estate administration.
She was admitted and enrolled as an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya upon completing her pupillage.
Debbie is conversant in:
- Bahasa Malaysia; and
Nur Aqilah binti Abdul Razak: Legal Associate
Nur Aqilah graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Hons.) from Multimedia University Melaka.
Nur Aqilah also obtained her Postgraduate Diploma in Syariah Law and Practice (DSLP) from UITM Shah Alam, Malaysia. Nur Aqilah commenced her pupillage at Messrs Illiayas where her practicing area mainly consists of conveyancing, application of probate/letter of administration, will-writing and banking litigation.
In TYH & Co, Nur Aqilah will be mainly handling uncontested and contested divorce & family matters (for Muslims and non-Muslims) as well as other matters including probate and estate planning law, immigration matters, landlord and tenant disputes, defamation, land disputes and others.
Nur Aqilah is fluent and conversant in:
- Bahasa Malaysia; and
At TYH & Co, we provide fixed and affordable lawyer fees for any divorce or family matters with no hidden charges so that you can make practical payment arrangements.
Administration and Support
Haszalina Binti Mat Saat: Litigation and Secretarial Clerk
Lawyers in Tam Yuen Hung & Co.:
- Max Tam Yuen Hung (Divorce & Family Litigation/Dispute Resolution)
- Wilson Tan Wei Sheng (Estate Planning/Probate & Property) (Read profile here)
- Samantha Khoo Kah Wuan (Property & Family Litigation/Dispute Resolution) (Read profile here)
- Sandra Lee Yee Ling (Divorce, Family & Property)
- Nicole Lee Yu Chen (Conveyancing/Property & Dispute Resolution) (Read profile here)
- Amelia Tan Ru Wen (Divorce & Family Litigation/Dispute Resolution)
- Debbie Lai Wern Yi (Divorce & Family Litigation/Dispute Resolution)
- Nur Aqilah binti Abdul Razak (Divorce & Family Litigation for Muslims and non-Muslims/Dispute Resolution)